I. Complete these sentences with used to or didn’t use to.

1. My father gave up smoking two years ago. He (smoke) _____________ a packet of cigarettes a day.
2. There (be) _____ ______________a movie theater here but it closed a long time ago.
3. Mr. An (not/ drink) ______________coffee when he was young but he likes it now.
4. Peter (have) __________________________ a motorbike, but last month he sold it and bought a car.
5. I (not/ like) _____________her but we are best friends now.
6. They came to live in the city last year. They (live) ______________ in a small village in the country.
7. My sister (play) _____________________________ tennis a lot but she doesn’t play very often now.
8. When I was a child I (not/ study) ___________________________________ hard.

Bai-tap-tieng-anh-8-unit4

II. Write these sentences, putting one verbs into the correct form of “used to” and the other into the past simple.

1. He (live) _____ in London before he (go) _____ abroad.
2. I (earn) _____ a lot of money, but then I (lose) _______my job.
3. I’m surprised that they (join) _____ the tennis club. They (not/ like) _____ tennis.
4. _____ you (travel) _____ a lot before you (become) _____ a teacher?
5. That radio (work) ______ before I (drop) ______ it.
6. We (see) _____ them every week, but then we (have) ______ an argument.
7. She (play) ______ tennis a lot before she (break) ______ her leg.
8. She (drive) ______ a lot before she (have) ______ an accident.
9. We (have) ______ a garden, but then we (move) ______ to a different house.

III. Read the text and answer the questions that follow.

I remember the days when I was still a little girl. When the New Year cam, my mother used to tell me not to cry, she used to take me to the market and buy new clothes for me, she used to make sticky rice square cakes and cook them all night. She used to go to the flower market to buy some fresh flowers. My father used to pain the walls and redecorate the house and he used to help my mom with housework. Now my parents are old and I am grown up so I do everything myself. But I still remember the days…

1. What did your mother use to tell you when the New Year came?
2. Where did she use to take you and what did she buy you?
3. What did she use to make?
4. Where did she use to go?
5. What did your father use to do?
6. Do your parents do those things nowadays? Why or Why not?

IV. Put a suitable preposition in each blank.

1. I was born _____ January 1st, 1965.
2. When did you meet him? - _____ lunch today.
3. It often rains _____ October _____ Vietnam.
4. What are you going to do _____ 2020?
5. I don’t know but I am going to go to college _____ September this year.
6. You want to watch the sky _____ sunset?
7. Sure. And I like to go for a walk _____ sunrise, too.
8. Well, let’s go for a walk ______ the weekends.
9. I don’t know what he is doing ______ the moment.
10. What did he do ______ the ninth of April, 2000?
11. She often hears some strange noise _______ midnight.
12. Does it rain _____ Spring? in

V. Complete the sentences. Put the verbs into the correct form. Affirmative or negative.

1. I knew Sarah was very busy, so I _____ her. (disturb)
2. I was very tired, so I _____ to bed early. (go)
3. The bed was very uncomfortable. I _____ well. (sleep)
4. Sue wasn’t hungry, so she ______ anything. (eat)
5. We went to Kate’s house but she _____ at home. (be)
6. It was a funny situation but nobody ______. (laugh)
7. The window was open and a bird _____ into the room. (fly)
8. The hotel wasn’t expensive. It ______ very much. (cost)
9. I was in a hurry, so I _____ time to phone you. (have)
10. It was hard work carrying the bags. They _____ very heavy. (be)

VI. Write the sentences, using the cue words.

1. We/ not/ go/ school/ Saturdays.
2. They/ usually/ hold/ party/ New Year’s Eve.
3. I/ going/ see/ John/ lunchtime.
4. Last night/ she/ come home/ 10.30 and 11 o’clock.
5. Jazz/ become/ popular/ United States/ the 1920s.
6. I/ call/ you/ Friday afternoon/ about 2.30.
7. The first man/ walk/ moon/ 21 July 1969.
8. We/ often/ have/ short holiday/ Christmas.

VII. Put the verb in correct tense or form.

1. Trung’s father (teach) ________ him how (ride) a bicycle when he (be) ________ twelve years old.
2. How ________ your brother (go) ________ to work everyday? – He usually ________ (drive).
3. We (go) ________ to Ha Long Bay this weekend.
4. You (use) ____ to play so much when you (live) ____in the countryside?
5. Yesterday Hoang (spend) ________ two hours (repair) ________ his computer set.

VIII. Choose the right word in brackets to fill in the blank.

1. Last night I watched the movie Romeo and Juliet. At last they killed (together/ each other/ themselves/ them).
2. (What/ Do/ Would/ Will) you like to come? – I’d love to.
3. We must be there (at/ before/ between/ after) 7.30 and 8.15.
4. When my grandmother was young, she used (sing/ to sing/ sang/ sung) very well.
5. Don’t go(outside/ inside/ into/ away). It’s too cold.
6. Our team played well (too/ that/ so/ enough) to win the gold medal.
7. Don’t let your child (play/ to play/ playing/ plays) with matches.
8. How long will he (must/ should/ have to/ has to) stay there?
9. Our team won the game because we played very _________ (good/ well).
10. I tried on the shoes and they fitted me_________ (perfect/ perfectly).
11. He had an accident because he was driving too _________ (fast/ fastly).
12. Tom is a ________ driver He is driving __________along the narrow road. (careful/ carefully)
13. Do you usually feel _________ (nervous/ nervously) before examination.
14. She speaks English _________ (fluent/ fluently).
15. He hurt himself_________ (bad/ badly).
16. He looked me_________ when I interrupted him. (angry/ angrily)
17. I always feel_________ when the sun is shining. (happy/ happily)
18. Lan worked very_________ for the exam. (hard/ hardly)
19. I am not_________ at Math. (good/ well)
20. My aunt speaks English very (good/ well/ goodly/ best).
21. We have math on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; it means we have math (once/ twice/ three times/ four times) a week.
22. Lan promises to (try/ make/ work/ learn) her best in learning English.

IX. Supply suitable words to complete the following passage.

Our classes take place for three hours every morning ______ (1) Monday to Friday. The maximum class size ______ (2) twenty and the average is ten. We use modern methods of ______ (3) and learning, and the school has a language laboratory, a video camera and recorder. You will only be successful ______ (4) improving your English, however, if you work hard and ______ (5) speaking English as much as you can. You will take a short ______ (6) in English as soon as you arrive. In this way, we can put you in a ______ (7) at the most suitable level.
There are two classes______ (8) the elementary level; one is for complete beginners and the ______ (9) is for students who know a ______ (10) English. In both classes you will practice simple conversations.

I
1. used to smoke
2. used to be
3. didn’t use to drink
4. use to have
5. didn’t use to like
6. used to live
7. Used to play
8. Didn’t use to study


II.
1. Used to live - went
2. used to earn - lost
3. Joined - didn’t use to like
4. Did you use to travel - became
5. Used to work - dropped
6. Used to see - had.
7. Used to play - broke
8. Used to drive - had.
9. Used to have - moved.

III.
1. not to cry.
2. buy new clothes for me.
3. she used to make sticky rice square cakes and cook them all night.
4. She used to go to the flower market.
5. My father used to pain the walls and redecorate the house and he used to help my mom with housework.

IV.
1. on.
2. at.
3. On - in.
4. in.
5. in.
6. at.
7. at.
8. at
9. at
10. on
11. at
12. in
V.
1. didn’t disturb.
2. went.
3. didn’t sleep.
4. ate.
5. wasn’t.
6. laughed.
7. flied.
8. cost.
9. didn’t have.
10. were.

VII.
1. taught - was.
2. Did - go - drives.
3. Are going to go.
4. Do you use to play - lived.
5. Spent - repairing.

VIII.
1. themselves
2. Would.
3. between.
4. to sing
5. outside
6. enough
7. play
8. have to
9. well
10. perfectly
11. fast
12. careful/ carefully
13. nervous
14. fluently
15. badly
16. angrily
17. happy
18. hard
19. good
20. well
21. three times
22. make
IX.
1. from
2. is
3. teaching
4. in
5. parctise
6. improvement
7. class
8. for
9. other
10. little

0 nhận xét:

Đăng nhận xét

 
Top